Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cat what???

I finally made an appointment for a speech language pathologist for my 2 and a half year old daughter. She was a late talker. She is finally saying words and sentences but most of the time we don't have a clue what is trying to tell us. Very frustrating! Here are my top 5 favorites head scratchers:

Ice means yes. When we ask her to say it again it comes out like "icessss"

Cocs means Crocs. That one is not to far off but I still wince every time she shows people her shoes.

Icky translates to Eric(a little boy at daycare). His mother wasn't to impressed with that one!

Boap means soap. When we practice it in the tub she will say "sssss-Boap"

Cat piss means ketchup. The waitress at pizza delight will never be the same after that request.

I can't remember ever having this problem with my son. He talked quite early and it was always quite clear. I had her hearing tested last week just to make sure that wasn't the problem and she passed with flying colors. So now we are waiting for our appointment with the speech therapist. The waiting list is 9 months long! I called "Talk with Me" early language services but the programs they have coming up are all offered during the day. So we wait. Does anyone else have any suggestions?



5 comments:

gypsybug said...

All kids are different but Carter has a few words in his library. Doggie, Daddy, Momma, Le-Le(translation: Emily), baby, hi, hello and some G-word that is trying to say.

Glad you are getting it looked at though, I had a speech therapist when I was younger and look how far it took me...now I don't shut up!

Queen Mel said...

She may not have any trouble at all, late bloomer thing but I agree to having it checked out just in case......cat piss and cocs....wow lucky you

Kimmartha said...

Tanner was a late talker - but his delay was due to fluid in his ears. He still has the problem now, so he has to get tubes put in every couple of years. Good for you for taking the step to get this started - most parents wait until the 3.5 year assessment or, worse, school, thinking their kids are just "going through a stage". Have you looked into private speech therapy? I think it's a bit costly, but I also think it is covered by your medical insurance. Also, when you are on a wait list, you can request to be put on the cancellation list and sometimes that gets you in a bit faster. Meantime, keep working with her, correcting her and helping her to slow down and pronounce the words. You can play some simple word games with her - start with something she can say, then gradually work up to more complex words like "mom, some, come, thumb". You can also do "nonsense" words using sounds you know she is having trouble with.

Just had another thought!! Although her hearing test came back fine, she could have enlarged tonsils or adenoids (sp?) that could be interfering with her hearing and/or her ability to prounce some sounds. Have you had her checked by an ENT (like Henderson). Might be something to consider...

The Original Princess said...

I don't have any suggestions. But if it makes you feel better, my niece turned 2 in August and she is a great little talker. However, she called my husband, Eric, Ickis. Not to far off from Icky. :)

NickyT said...

I too went to speech therapy for years. My original goal after graduation was to become a speech pathologist; even went and took a tour of Dal and met with the department head. I did my CoOp in high school with the district pathologist and we played alot of games with the kids to build confidence and practiced, practiced with the kids. I did a google search for you it wouldn't hurt to spend an hour or two each week playing some of these games with her:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=games+for+speech+language&meta=
I wish I still kept all the games from back then.
But she is still young so it might be still baby talk and fun to her.
Good Luck, and keep us posted.