Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm very lucky that not everyone is like me!

I’ve been totally slack – Yup that’s me – total slacker! That is the inspiration for my blog today. I am a total procrastinator. I always leave things until the last minute – sometimes they don’t even get done at all. Like the wedding video I taped 3 years ago for a friend that I have never finished editing. It’s pathetic. I have an email from a friend that is sitting in my inbox that I have been meaning to respond to for over a month but yet I always find something else that needs to be done first. It was one of the reasons I was hesitant to start a blog, because it would be another thing that would be on my mind that I needed to do. It’s not like I don’t want to blog – I really enjoy it. It’s not like I don’t want to talk to my friends over email, I love hearing from friends! It’s not like I don't want my friend to have a wedding video – I just know it is going to take me at least another 2 hours of editing plus the time to figure out how to get it to DVD format (which I have asked about 5 different people about with no easy answer) . I just keep saying to myself “I’ll definitely do that tomorrow”. Which leads me to a question for y’all.out there – Would you be friends with yourself? If I were to ask myself that question then I would say no. I really really really want to say yes but if I’m honest with myself it is a definite no. I probably wouldn’t even bother to get to get to know me because I don’t really say too much unless I am spoken too. And if by some miracle I did get to know me then I wouldn’t really like me because I hate procrastinators! Logically there is no reason to procrastinate – it will take you the same amount of time to do it whether you do it today or 3 days from now. So why wait? Would a deadline help? – Definitely. But I have tried giving myself one and that doesn’t work. So I need an imposed deadline. Great! In order to be friends with myself I must attach a deadline to any favor I would ask. Not really what you are looking for in a friend.

10 comments:

Queen Mel said...

ok so you and should NOT be friends at all, really we shouldn't, but because I already like you I'll keep you but in the future...you will have deadlines! LOL

Would I be friends with myself? Yes, I have a lot to offer you, I am loyal, responsible, faithful, caring, considerate but the one factor to my friendship.....I must get that all back.

So maybe you don't want to be friends with me, I expect way too much from you....LOL

I drive a hard bargain huh?

Hollee said...

I'll give you till the end of January to befriend yourself ;) LOL Oh - and I can totally hook you up with the DVD thing :) You can even edit it AFTER it's in DVD format ;) Call me woman...I'll be home NOT being friends with myself...cuz a real friend wouldn't let me eat all those damn mini-eggs!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hmm....sounds remarkably like myself ... I am an aweful procratinator. There are a lot of projects I don't finish. Just look at my kitchen and bathroom!

Anonymous said...

So you wouldn't be friends with yourself????

Well your in luck then because I think I really lucked into becoming friends with you!!!!!!!

lesly said...

tay - you definitly drive a hard bargain but I'm up for the challenge!

Hollee - I'm working on it! I don't know if I can meet your end of the month deadline but this is definitly something I need to work on : ) and stay out of those damn mini-eggs!!

Meow! - I would not have guessed that you were a procrastinator - you are always so organized. I always linked the two but maybe I am missing something.

Jenn - thanks : ) I totally agree - I won the lottery when I met you! I'm buying a 6-49 ticket tonight!

In the thick of it said...

I think you ARE missing something Les. You're missing all of the qualities that make you a great friend! Procrastination is something that everyone has to varying degrees, and some people have better excuses than others for it. It's a part of you that you don't necissarily like, but it's not who you are. You're a good mom, a good wife a great cook, a good listener, a good worker a great friend, you're very funny and interesting. We've all got projects and we all have different priorities, my advice (un asked for as usual) Let some of the regret go, you've probably made some special memories instead, spent time with the kids or the hubby, maybe had a moment to yourself, or just managed to make life a little less hectic by doing something that needed to be done pronto. Cut yourself some slack and re-evaluate, I can fiercely say with certainty that non of us would have you any other way!

Kimmartha said...

Did you know most proscratinators are perfectionists? That's part of my procrastination problem - I can't just do a bit and work away at it, I need to do it all and it needs to be done "just so", therefore, most of the time, it just doesn't get done!

"The real" MarthaSue said...

geezus...you guys are way to hard on your selves....

seriously ....one charachter flaw and out the window with ya!

like in the thick says...it's not what makes you....

would I be friends with me....i think so......something to think about...somethign along the line sof WWJD? hahaha

gypsybug said...

I wouldn't want all my friends to be the same person or like me, because I wouldn't have any!! LOL We are always our own worst critique.. I am just as bad. Like yourself first and then it is easy for others to like you! You are GREAT and have wonderful qualities.

The Original Princess said...

Am I the only one who thinks this question is hard? I really have no idea if I'd be friends with myself.
It takes all types to make the world go around.