Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Drug of Choice.

What effect does music have on you? The closest I can come to describing how I feel is what I think doing drugs would be like. I don’t really have a reference for that feeling since I have never done drugs. Not really. Once I tried to smoke weed because a friend of mine told me that you could actually see music. He told me the notes would manifest themselves into colors dancing around the room in different sizes and shapes. I thought that sounded pretty cool but I was young and inexperienced and very naive. All I got was a major headache. But the concept still intrigues me. I get such a high when a great song comes on the radio. I crank it up and sing at the top of my lungs and all is good in the world. Or when I have a task that I am dreading I put on some tunes and voila! Bring it on baby! So when I get home I love to have music playing while I’m in the kitchen. It just changes the atmosphere in the house. But I know it is not that way with all people. My husband for instance – he hates it when I have music playing all the time. He hates extra noise – says he finds it distracting. That is very sad to me. Thank goodness for the invention of the mp3 player! And I love all type of music – country, rock, choir, jazz, blues, hymns – you name it and I’ve tried to sing along with it. Being in a choir was a truly amazing experience for me. There is nothing like the feeling of standing in a group of people and hearing their voices all around you. I was so excited for my parents to hear us but again they didn’t share my enthusiasm. They supported me of course, but I could tell it was not their thing. There was a brief time about 2 years ago that I didn’t sing to the radio. It was like I was in a fog all the time. I knew I was depressed but what finally made me pick up the phone and ask for help was hearing one of my favorite songs come on the radio and not feeling anything. Nada - Zip! I knew I didn’t want to be in a world where I didn’t hear the music. I hope I never have to again. But don’t you think it is just amazing that a few words and some instruments can have that effect? Your brain chemicals bounce around, your synapses fire and all it good in the world. All this talk is making me crave my player- I am such an addict : ) So take some time and enjoy the music today!

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Hi Les! I drove all the way here to Grand Falls and sang all the way!!!!
I love music!!!

Madiegirl said...

This is a great post ! I love music SO much. Singing it, listen to it, finding perfect lyrics to a great song. I get a rush too :-)

Thanks for reminding me how much I love music !!!

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Music is the best! It can be the cure for what ails ya! Bad day, turn on an upbeat song. Need to relax, play something mellow. I think for most major events in my life, I can recall a song; always have music playing. Thanks for the great post!

In the thick of it said...

Great post! It';s nice to know that we don't have to share the same tastes to share the same experiences. Music heals and comforts. My favorite part is how it can bring back the best memories and it's so easy to say, remember that song? Remember what we were doing when that song came out? My best and happiest memories are tied to music and some of my saddest and most dificult but as they get farther away they turn a bittersweet and add to the soundtrack of my life.