Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Picking a title for my blog..

Well here I am. I have joined the blogging world! I decided last week that it was time to begin my journey into the blogger realm. I loaded up the page all ready to write then realized that I hadn't even thought about a title - dilemma! So I will start up with how I came up with Stumbling on Happiness. I am fortunate enough to be able to listen to music at work so I have a little player that I use when I am doing long boring tasks that require no brainpower. Music started to get a little boring after a while so I went in search of something different. My coworker told me about pod casts and showed me how to download them to my player then he gave me a few of his favorites. In this bunch was a podcast from TED talks and the speaker was Dan Gilbert. It was totally fascinating! He talks about how your brain can change the reactions to situations to make you happy - he calls it synthetic happiness. What a concept! Think about it - we, as human beings, have the capacity to manufacture that in which we are constantly chasing! How cool is that! Even when you don't get exactly what you want your brain can make you believe that you have and it is just a lasting as true happiness. If you have a chance pop onto the site and have a listen at http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/97. He gives examples and stats to support his theories and explains it much better that I could ever do here. So it just seemed an appropiate title because of my own struggle with happiness and my hopes to eventually stumble apon it. I have learned a lot this past year about what happiness is and I can tell you honestly that when you have great friends you don't need to synthsize a thing!

4 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Yeah you've made the leap into blogland.....welcome....great first post......good job!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging! There will be days it's wonderful and others it seems like torture.

I am definitely going to check out the podcast .... perhaps something I really need?

In the thick of it said...

Wow I'm totally going to check that out! Great start to your blog, you're a natural!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Aboard!!!! Great post!!!