Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stillness Speaks

I borrowed this book from a friend a while ago and I'm just now getting around to reading it. It is written by Eckhart Tolle - the same guy that wrote the Power of Now and A New Earth. I really like the format. It just gives little quotes to think about so you can read a bunch or just one at a time. Here are a few that made me stop and think:

Most People confuse the Now with what happens in the Now but that's not what it is. The Now is deeper than what happens in it. It is the space in which it happens. So do not confuse the content of this moment with the Now. The Now is deeper than any content that arises within it.

Even within the seemingly most unacceptable and painful situation is concealed a deeper good, and within every disaster is contained the seed of grace. Throughout history, there have been women and men who, in the face of great loss, illness, imprisonment, or impending death, accepted the seemingly unacceptable and thus found "the peace that passeth all understanding." Acceptance of the unacceptable is the greatest source of grace in this world. (I think this struck me because if what is happening in Haiti right now. I'm really struggling with images that I see on the news - I keep asking myself "why is this happening?")

Surrender becomes so much easier when you realize the fleeting nature of all experiences and that the world cannot give you anything of lasting value. You then continue to meet people, to be involved in experiences and activities, but without the wants and fears of the egoic self. That is to say, you no longer demand that a situation, person, place, or event should satisfy you or make you happy. Its passing and imperfect nature is allowed to be. And the miracle is that when you are no longer placing an impossible demand on it, every situation, person, place, or event becomes not only satisfying buy also more harmonious, more peaceful.

No comments: