Monday, November 2, 2009

Mercy

My family and I have started going to church. I grew up going to church and most of my high school friends were from the local youth group so it was a very big part of my life. As my kids grew older I knew that I needed to introduce them to church and the community that comes with it. When I went looking for a church here in Freddy I knew I wanted one with a great kids program and youth program so that my kids would not only learn about God but also have fun while doing it. A neighbour told us about Crosspoint Wesleyan around Easter of this year and we have been going ever since. Not only has it been great for the kids but the Pastor seems to always talk about issues that are very relevant to our life. He challenges many of the stereotypes that have made me shy away from the organized religion for many years. This week the scripture that he read from was the story of the good Samaritan. Everyone has probably heard that story but he really made me look at it from a new perspective. He suggested that the opposite of Greed is not Generosity but Mercy. Would Greed exist in the presence of Mercy? I have never considered myself greedy - that is such an ugly word. But after this Sunday I realized there is so much more that I could be doing. He challenged everyone in the congregation to do something totally crazy this week. He suggested maybe giving a $20 tip to the drive thru person - wow - that just seems crazy doesn't it? But what would stop me from doing this? Greed? So I am going to find a few charities that are close to my heart and donate some time and money. They currently have a program where you fill a shoebox up with toys and candy for kids that might otherwise not get anything for Christmas. Actually I think I will make it a family activity - it is definitely one that the kids would have fun helping me with.

3 comments:

Queen Mel said...

I like it Lesley, good for you.......

lesly said...

Thanks Mel. It's called operation Christmas child. You can actually watch videos of them opening them - so awesome! If you know anyone who might be interested in participating I can pick up some more shoeboxes.

Hollee said...

:)