Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration day

As I sit here listening to the ceremonies in Washington, I can’t help but join in with the excitement of the day. I find it amazing that as a Canadian I have become so engrossed in this election and this president. I feel privileged to be a part of history. The president has a monumental task ahead of him and I truly believe that they have found the right guy for the job. When he speaks I am mesmerized. He exudes confidence but in a very calming manner. He is deliberate yet non confrontational. He inspires by example. I don't think I have ever seen a man so ready to lead a nation in crisis. We have yet to see what policies he will put into place but I can’t help but think that he will approach all decisions with humility and grace. While listening to a morning radio show on the CBC, I heard the speaker talk about how Obama can only fail in this presidency because the American people have too much hope for what he will accomplish. He goes on to say that when people look back on Obama’s presidency that they will think of failure and broken hopes. I disagree with this. Even if the Obama presidency can not accomplish everything that he had hoped, no one can deny how he has inspired the nation. He is only one man so his power must come from the people and his words inspire the masses. An inspired nation can accomplish much more than a defeated one. So attitudes like the the man from the morning radio must be left behind in order for hope to prevail. President Obama’s speech is just about to begin and I have a feeling that we will all be inspired yet again. Hope is a powerful entity and one that I pray that we can keep in our sights in this very difficult time.

2 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Well said. I watched it yesterday, glued to it from 7am until last nights balls. I love it, I learned so much about their traditions. I love the fact everyone is so hyped up about this man (plus he is good looking to boot) and the fact that one person can still invoke so much hope and life into a country. I have no idea if he will accomplish what he has set out to do but hey he's going to give a good go.

lesly said...

I was glued to the tv last night as well. It was all fascinating! Can't wait to see what happens now!